Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Elegant Egg Salad With Cashews And Curry

I grew up in Great Neck, Long Iceland, a suburb of New York City. When I lived there, Great Neck was a small village with a dairy and a charming station, the set looked like a toy train. Many TV personalities, including Perry Como, where he lived, because it was so close to the city.

Our house has no air conditioning, and sometimes the nights were unbearably hot. But I remember loving the steaming Iceland Summer Long. We often went to Jones Beach onSouth bank. My mother would pack a lunch for us, sweetened iced tea with orange juice (they wanted it more than lemon), some fruit, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, egg salad sandwiches.

We have always rented a large beach umbrella. After my brother and I were in the water we would eat lunch in the shade of the canvas roof and move our toes played in the sand. Since then, egg salad sandwiches have symbolized the summer and if I can close my eyes and think, I almost tastethem and smell the sea.

Where have egg salad come from?

Eggs are one of the oldest foods. Recipes for cooking eggs date back centuries. I have over 100 pounds and looked to cook egg salad in some of them. A book had a recipe for "Old Time Egg Salad," a veritable salad with torn lettuce leaves, thinly sliced red onions, sliced hard boiled eggs, sliced, tossed with a cider vinegar and oil dressing.

Over the years, cooking at home has chopped cucumbers, black olives, greenOlives, peppers, red peppers, anchovies and other ingredients to make salad eggs. I have done the same. Sometimes I've made "normal" egg salad, but I prefer elegant egg salad with cashew nuts and curry. Here's my recipe.

INGREDIENTS

4 large eggs, hard boiled

1 / 2 cup celery, diced

2 green onions, white and green parts, diced

2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley

1 / 2 cup salt cashew pieces

1 / 3 cup light mayonnaise

1 / 8 teaspoonSalt

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon curry powder

shredded lettuce

METHOD

Hard boil eggs and cool well. Peel eggs, cut in half and mash with a fork. Add celery, green onions, parsley and cashew nuts. Combine mayonnaise, salt, lemon juice and curry powder. Pour dressing over the egg mixture and gently throw. Spread filling on whole wheat, five grain or Italian bread and top with shredded lettuce. Makes 5-6 sandwiches.

Elegant Egg and ShrimpSalad: Allow two eggs. Add 1 / 2 cup cooked, chopped shrimp.

Elegant Egg and Bacon Salad: Have an egg. Add 1 / 3 cup cooked bacon pieces.

Copyright 2007 by Harriet Hodgson



garage door insulation kits toddler finger food recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment